March 22, 2014

Do You Ever Find Yourself Not Understanding?



Do you ever read the words/writings/poems/stories that someone wrote and think quietly to yourself that you don’t have a clue what they are talking about?   

Typically if that happens to me, I try reading it again... slower... and not skipping words that I sometimes fail to read when I’m in a hurry. Occasionally the second time, I get it and then... I typically find myself reading it again... just to make sure I didn’t miss anything else.  

But then there are those times that I still don’t get it!  That’s when I begin to question myself as a reader and writer. Which basically gets me nowhere... until I eventually realize (again) that we are all made uniquely different and the way that we express ourselves is a part of our unique personality... which ultimately allows us to express ourselves in ways that may or may not be able to relate with everyone. 

For some reason, this is a cycle that keeps repeating itself for me.  So again today, I realize I don’t have to understand all the writings I find myself reading.  They are obviously in a different place in their life (and for now) and I’m okay with that.


2 comments:

  1. It is so interesting that you bring this up just as I am questioning how my classroom reading instruction is going. I am teaching my students to read and answer questions CORRECTLY when in my heart I believe that we, as readers may understand things quite differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading poetry especially and having no clue what the point of the poem was. I think everyone's writing is so affected by their own past experiences that sometimes it's helpful to know that before reading.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete