March 29, 2014

Family Gatherings - Slice of Life



I never know what’s going to happen when I spend time with my family.

It seems like whatever we do, we have a tendency to go to extremes.

It consumes us...and you can either participate or sit back  on the sidelines and watch the show.

Years ago it was volleyball.  We had a wide range of skilled players in that game.  There were those could dive for the ball with such speed, those that spiked the ball…which always irritated me, some who couldn’t serve a ball and get it over the net, but my mom was my absolute favorite player.   She never moved.  I believe her idea of being a player was sticking her arm out and hoping that she made contact with any part of the ball.  You never knew where the balls she hit would go.  If you were on her team, it was always a spectacular save if you could get her wild ball over the net.    Fun times!


From our parents, we inherited the need to be competitive while playing cards. Sitting around the kitchen table has been known to entertain us for hours.  Oh the stories that we could tell about some of our card games.   We have thrown water, raised our voices, scolded each other, cried, throws the cards,  got ticked off and leave, and so many other things!  Fun times!

Karaoke was big at our gatherings for a very long time.  We had trios, duets, and even some brave souls that were the stars and  sang solos.    We sang old country hits,  hymns, oldies, children''s songs,  and I'm pretty sure we sang songs that had never EVER heard before.   We think we sound pretty remarkable.   Fun times!

Once or twice,  we played poker with dollar bills.  I never understood the whole process, but I know I ended up losing a few bucks.  Of course, I’m not sure what all the rules really were... so I sometimes wonder if they just wanted to take my money.  Fun times!

I can’t leave out Sudoku.   When that little logic number placement came to our family gatherings I hated it!  No communication at all.  I remember sitting there for hours and watching how consumed everyone was.  Those that were not engrossed in it drifted to another room or simply left.  After a while, I chose to leave.  


Now for the past few years, it’s the electronics.  Kindles, iPads, laptops, iPhones can be found in almost everyone’s hand.   I have noticed that these suck the life out of any conversation.  I hope this phases out pretty soon..... but I have a feeling that it is going to a part of our family gatherings for a long long time. 

4 comments:

  1. Electronics consume the lives of so many of us. Unfortunately a lot of us our guilty of that. Good luck on your next Family Gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad to get to the last paragraph to see that all those great, bonding, warm times had an ending point. My fingers are crossed--no, double crossed--that it is actually just a pause. Buy a basket and have everyone throw in their smartphone at the beginning if the night...and they are not allowed to touch them again until they leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much thankful to you for providing such blogs. All your blogs are helpful for your viewers. Once again, thanks for the post.
    Mahindra Treo Price

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great content, Thanks for sharing this one.
    new tractor

    ReplyDelete